GitLab is an open core company which develops software for the software development lifecycle used by more than 100,000 organizations and has an active community of more than 2200 contributors. GitLab openly shares more information than most companies and is public by default, meaning their projects, strategy, direction, and metrics are discussed openly and can be found within their website. Their values are Collaboration, Results, Efficiency, Diversity, Inclusion & Belonging, Iteration, and Transparency (CREDIT) and these form the GitLab culture.
Headquartered in San Francisco employing over 1,295 individuals across 67 countries, GitLab believes in a world where everyone can contribute. Their mission is to change all creative work from read-only to read-write. When everyone can contribute, consumers become contributors, and we significantly increase the rate of human progress.
Across Europe, GitLab required a scalable solution and expert partner to allow them to access & engage talent in markets where they do not have a legal entity or understanding of the local regulations relating to labour law.
Gitlab required a partner to manage their remote and distributed workforce.
GitLab needed a model that would reduce the risk of employee misclassification, false self-employment and protect its IP when hiring independent contractor talent in new markets.
Before engaging with CXC, GitLab had limited ability to engage talent in new markets compliantly, limiting their business growth and increasing their risk profile.
In June 2019, CXC partnered with GitLab to provide compliance, contract and payroll management solutions to their contingent workforce and future hires. An initial transition project was initiated to transfer all in scope resources within Poland and Ukraine to CXC’s Programme.
CXC engaged with contingent workers, providing a seamless and efficient digital onboarding process, mitigating risk for GitLab whilst delivering in-country compliance expertise.
After a successful launch and solution implementation within these countries, GitLab brought Russia and Romania into scope, followed most recently by Portugal in July 2020.
Key services CXC provides to GitLab include:
- Payroll solution delivered successfully with ease and efficiency
- In-country compliance expertise delivered across all in-scope countries
- Accurate classification and risk mitigation
- Method to hire self-employed engagements across multiple regions
- Compliance, contract, and payroll management
- Streamlined onboarding activities, efficient and precise communications
- Excellent contingent worker experience throughout onboarding to contract issues and aftercare
- Welcome Pack creation to assist contingent workers during registration and throughout their assignment
- Efficient and secure online contracts processes
- Dedicated account management and worker care team
- Key support for contract extensions and termination processes
- Monthly invoicing and payment structure embedded
- Dedicated finance team available to assist with payment or invoice queries
- Guidance provided to assist updating client intranet pages with key information to support day to day contractor management
CXC’s solution has delivered an enhanced process to GitLab, providing many efficiencies including:
- Solution launched in Poland, Ukraine, Russia, Romania, and Portugal
- Management of remote contingent workforces, providing client opportunity to hire across key locations to support business needs
- Compliance with taxation and local legislation in-country
- Unified onboarding and contracts process across all countries included within the programme
- Efficient process to engage workers and turn around compliance within short timescales
- All contingent workers onboarded and fully enabled to work remotely without issue or delay
- Positive contingent worker experience
- Ongoing process efficiencies and improvements
- Streamlined invoicing process and payment schedule for contingent workers
- Consolidated invoicing process, saving Gitlab time and money
- 100% of invoices paid accurately and on-time across all countries
- Strong relationships built with the GitLab management team, leading to further opportunities across other countries