Independent contractors, on-demand or contingent workers, freelancers; whatever you label these workers, there is no denying that this workforce is growing fast and is here to stay.
Based on a study by on a survey conducted by communications marketing firm, Edelman, we’ve put together this visual representation of what the Australian freelancing workforce looks like and where it is heading.
In late 2015 global communications marketing firm, Edelman surveyed 1,000 Australian workers to look at why so many Aussies are turning to freelancing and to determine the future outlook for freelancing in Australia.
- 4.1 million Aussies freelanced in 2015…that’s a 2% increase on 2014 stats
- 57% of people surveyed started freelancing as a choice and not as a necessity
- 65% of freelancers aged 55+ started freelancing by choice
- 58% of freelancers say they wouldn’t return to traditional employment, no matter how much money they were offered
Key drivers for choosing to freelance
- pursuit of passion
- build new skills
Technology is making it easier to find freelance work.
- 41% of freelancers obtained a freelance job online in 2015
- That’s a 11% increase on 2014 stats
- 69% of freelancers earned more than they did in their traditional employment within a year or less
- 73% of freelancers would recommend freelancing to family and friends
- 72% of freelancers believe the best days are ahead for freelancing
- 59% of freelancers are male
- 47% of freelancers are under 35 years old
- 17% of freelancers are over the age of 55
- 36% of freelancers have a university degree
- 33% of freelancers live in Sydney