This client is responsible for designing, building and operating Australia’s broadband network. Now that the majority of their infrastructure has been deployed, this organisation has transitioned to supplying and maintaining a high-speed internet service to millions of Australians around the country. CXC partnered with this organisation in 2017 to onboard and manage their 100-strong contractor population in line with their requirements.
This client had SAP Fieldglass as their vendor management system (VMS), which they used for requisitioning contractors. While this solution suited the client’s requirements earlier in the relationship, they now needed greater flexibility, visibility and cost control.
There was a significant administrative burden from hiring managers, suppliers and contractors needing to access two different systems. The VMS was also not user friendly; for instance, when there was a mistake in a work order, the Talent Acquisition team would need to close it and recreate it from scratch.
Additionally, this client found that a key inhibitor of driving a total talent management strategy was having different systems for their contingent and permanent workers.
One of the key inhibitors in the past in driving a total talent management strategy was different systems being used for permanent and contingent workers. We’re seeing a drive for clients to use the same human resource information system (HRIS), finance and recruitment systems for permanent and contingent, while using CXC’s systems for the gaps they do not fulfill.
To continually improve our services for this client, and provide a fit-for-purpose solution, CXC proposed a streamlined process using human resource information system (HRIS) Workday. This system would manage the requisition and approval process for accessing contingent workers, while our proprietary Salesforce system, MyExchange, would manage onboarding, payment and offboarding.
After presenting the solution to the client and given the go ahead, we integrated Workday with our MyExchange system in a period of 16 weeks. The new process involves the following:
- Firstly, the Hiring Manager fills out the requisition for the contractor in Workday.
- The system automatically emails their manager for approval.
- This information in Workday is linked to our systems, meaning we can instantly see the contractor’s details, job title, who they report to and what their rate is.
- When the contractor wants to submit a timesheet or an expense, they use our MyExchange portal.
- Hiring managers use a secure link to approve these timesheets or expenses.
The client can now easily pull reporting from any data entered into the system, giving them complete visibility.
By aligning their permanent solution with their contingent, this client was able to achieve the goal of full contingent workforce data and transparency, while also having common systems for HR and approvals for their entire workforce.
The client now saves a substantial amount of time through only working with one system, and has also saved money by not requiring a VMS.
The solution with Workday and MyExchange has also provided the client with:
- Improved controls and ability to track contingent workforce processes via audit trail and reporting
- Total visibility of the workforce and reporting details
- Supplier fee management rates including milestone tenure reductions
- Oversight of offboarding activities including asset tracking
- Detailed breakdown of workforce spend by type, location, gender, function and more
- Compliance to Fair Work payment (removing underpayment risks) by overtime and entitlement calculations and payments
- Supplier compliance through payment of vetted suppliers to agreed commercial and contractual terms
- Time tracking, notifications, and alerts with visibility of hours worked and to accept or reject from online devise
- Increased efficiency and cost saving derived from a single entity purchase order transactional processing model
- Process efficiencies through automation in onboarding and offboarding and stage progress updates
- Audit trail for contractual and mandatory document completion/compliance
- Efficient and secure out of system time and expense approval
- Efficiency and data security through self-service management of personal, financial and engagement information
- Visibility of workforce through reporting, dashboards and insights and marketplace benchmarking
- Weekly, monthly or fortnightly reporting against SLAs and agreed metrics
- Dashboards and insights on a monthly or quarterly basis